LAT: 18°10’37.37″N LONG: 76°26’59.59″W
Christ Church, the Portland Parish Church, was designed in the neo-Romanesque style by English architect Annesley Voysey, and was completed around 1840. Voysey, who arrived in the island in 1837, died on August 5, 1839, before construction was completed.
The church stands on land which was presented for that purpose to the Rt. Rev. Christopher Lipscomb, Lord Bishop of Jamaica and Rev Griffiths, Clerk Rector of Portland, on September 3, 1836, by John Dean and Jane Brown on behalf of the residents of the parish.
Severely damaged in a 1903 hurricane, Christ Church was restored around 1911. [A project of the Jamaica National Heritage Trust & The Digicel Foundation]
|IMG #||SURNAME||Given Name||Died|
|PorCC10||BUCKLEY||Charles Herbert Bartholomew||1960s|
|PorCC03||PLANT||William Henry, Major||1930s|